Located on Mexico’s Pacific coast, Puerto Escondido is a little-known jewel that draws visitors with its breathtaking scenery, fascinating cultural heritage, and easygoing way of life. This small town’s beautiful sand beaches, pure blue oceans, and exciting nightlife make it a desirable destination for a wide range of vacationers.
The beaches, sights, culture, and food of Puerto Escondido will all be discussed in this guide.
Puerto Escondido is home to some of the world’s most stunning beaches. If you’re in need of a beach to soak up some rays or ride the waves, you’ve come to the right place. Some of the best-known beaches in the region are:
- Zicatela Beach: Zicatela Beach is widely regarded as one of the finest surfing locations in the planet. This beach is ideal for seasoned surfers due to its huge swells and powerful breaks.
- Carrizalillo Beach: This quiet stretch of beach is ideal for those in need of some R&R away from the crowds. It’s a great place to go swimming and sunbathing because the sea is quiet and the beach is nice and soft.
- Puerto Angelito Beach: A family-friendly beach with calm waves and a big selection of restaurants and bars, Puerto Angelito can be found right in the middle of Puerto Escondido.
Puerto Escondido is known for its beautiful beaches, but it also features several interesting landmarks. The following are among the area’s most popular tourist spots:
- Laguna de Manialtepec: An amazing sight, this bioluminescent lagoon. Luminous plankton can be seen by taking a nighttime boat tour of the lagoon.
- Mercado Benito Juarez: Explore the local culture and cuisine at this lively market. Travelers can peruse the stalls and try the various regional specialties from Mexico.
- Casa de la Cultura: The rich history and culture of Puerto Escondido and its surrounding area are on display at this cultural center’s many exhibits and events.
The art, music, and food of Puerto Escondido all represent the city’s long and illustrious cultural heritage. Attending one of the various festivals and events held throughout the year is a great way for visitors to immerse themselves in the local culture. Among the most notable cultural activities in the region are:
- Dia de los Muertos: Parades, altars, and authentic Mexican fare are just some of the highlights of this yearly festival honoring the Day of the Dead.
- La Guelaguetza: Music, dancing, and cuisine from all throughout the state of Oaxaca are showcased at this annual cultural event.
- Festival Costumbres y Tradiciones: This festival features musical performances, dances, and culinary delights that honor the rich cultural heritage of Puerto Escondido.
You can’t leave Puerto Escondido without sampling some of the regional specialties. Local cuisine in this region is renowned for its use of fresh seafood, fiery mole sauces, and authentic Oaxacan flavors. Among the best local eateries are:
- El Sultan: The delicious seafood and breathtaking ocean views at this beachside eatery are well-known.
- La Olita: The tlayudas and mole at this laid-back eatery are authentically Oaxacan.
- La Punta Taqueria: If you want to eat real Mexican tacos, you have to stop by this popular taqueria.
There is a wide variety of lodging options in Puerto Escondido, from five-star hotels to cheap dorms. Here are a few of the best hotels in the neighborhood:
- Vivo Resorts: This resort is situated on a private stretch of beach and features a spa, a fitness center, and several dining options.
- Selina Puerto Escondido: You can choose from individual suites to shared dorms at this hip hostel. In addition, there is a rooftop bar, a co-working area, and a swimming pool.
- Hotel Escondido: On a quiet stretch of beach, you’ll find this eco-friendly resort with a variety of private villas and beachfront cottages.
Surfing and swimming aren’t the only water sports available at Puerto Escondido. Here are just a few of the area’s most popular pastimes:
- Fishing: With many different kinds of fish in the area’s waterways, sport fishing is a popular pastime in Puerto Escondido.
- Horseback Riding: Horseback riding through the jungle or along the beach gives tourists an entirely new perspective on the area’s stunning scenery.
- Turtle Release: Help release juvenile sea turtles into the ocean and gain insight into local conservation efforts by taking part in a turtle release program.
Getting to Puerto Escondido is simple because to the abundance of daily flights from both major Mexican and American cities. Taxis and other forms of public transportation make moving around the city easy once you are there. Visitors can see more of the area at their own pace, though, by renting a car or scooter.
Puerto Escondido is a cultural and culinary paradise with stunning natural scenery. If you want to experience the best of Mexico, this small town is the place to go. Here, you can go surfing, shop at local markets, or just relax on the beach.